Stormin

C-120 refurb.

I took the Black Horse to the Allonby Charity Ploughing Match last month. Reversed onto the trailer with no problem, but when it came to driving it off on arrival, no drive to the rear wheels. High, low, forward, reverse, no go. :confused:  Final drive pulley and shaft going round, but not the wheels. Something inside the trans' gone wrong? :dunno:

Today I set too to find out. Off with seat, fender, fuel tank, brake, right hand foot plate and drive belt guard. Slacken off wheel nuts, jack up and put on axle stands'

Remove drain plug from trans and leave to drain. While draining, remove bottom bolts that fasten chassis to trans, then slacken off the top ones so oil will run out more.

That was when I saw it. :o  :banghead: :banghead:  :banghead:  

The left hand hub was up against the drive shaft casing and the woodruff key was pointing skywards. The inner end of it still just located in the hub. So hub and drive shaft still turned when wheel turned by hand.  If I'd taken the wheels off first, I may have seen it sooner and saved myself a lot of work.      :rolleyes:

Hub now away to have a new keyway cut.

Now why have I posted this here, you may ask. Simples! The Black Horse is not finished yet. Oh no! more parts have been procured for it's  evolvement.  More to do yet, so watch this space in the months to come. ;)

P.S. No questions or guesses as to what, will not be answered. You'll just have to wait and see.  :P

While down south at Rural Pastimes, The Showman kindly gave me this motor, pump and ram along with hoses.

post-111-0-59126000-1447863145_thumb.jpg

The motor was seized solid and when opened up it could be seen why. Must have spent some time in water. With the application of plenty of Pocket Rocket I managed to get it apart. After a good clean up and wash in petrol, bearings checked for wear (both ok) it was reassembled.

Electrics are not my forte, but I have a mate who is an ex BT engineer. So off I went to him. He checked it out then attached it to a battery. Ran like a good 'un in both directions. :D

Today I decided to see where it could be fitted. The best place was amidships, 'tween engine and hood stand. So a bit of measuring, a mounting plate made and below is the result.

post-111-0-09919000-1447863115_thumb.jpg

Now all I have to do is workout where to mount the ram and how to connect to the slot hitch. And then see if it will lift the plough. No problem. :rolleyes:

PS. No Chris, you can't have it back. :P

Bit more done today. Modifying the hitch lift system. Basically after much umming and ahhing, I decided on copying Mark and Ewan's mod. (Ride On's. Page 11)

So far, spindle, housings and arms made. I did think of fitting bushes in the housings, but I'd no material to make any and I wasn't going to do a 60 mile round trip. I have fitted grease nipples, so things should last me out. I'll have to drill a hole in the fender for access to the LH one. The RH can be reached via the trans filler tube hole. 

One mistake I did make, was to make the housing securing tabs long enough. The screw and nut are fouling the trans oil filler tube. Not a problem, just annoying.

Photo below.

post-111-0-46213300-1448039335_thumb.jpg

Got the connecting arm made today. First off I made a cardboard one. This was so I could get the curve right and length. I made arm in three parts. This was to allow clearance when third gear is engaged. Also allowed me to adjust length and position before final welding.

post-111-0-87462500-1448294042_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-12153000-1448294050_thumb.jpg

Everything seems to work OK, so next thing is painting.

Must admit I was lucky. Of the 1"x1/4" flat I had available, I only had 1" left over. :D

The handbrake rocker bit, all gets a bit tight trying to miss 3rd gear and fit through the small gap.

Ahh that! That's why I made a cardboard one first. All's ok so tomorrow I'll assemble it all and see where and how I can mount the hydraulic ram.

Hi Stormin

Watching with interest. you are doing well

Would it not have been easier buying a Gutbrod 1032 and painting it red HA HA th_hide.gif.pagespeed.ce.iiX41oOqbf.gif brr.gif.pagespeed.ce.t4zJezH3O8.gif

I suppose it is  better saying I did it.

Look forward to seeing you again

goodpost.gif.pagespeed.ce.PucjdMzAZG.gif Frae the Fife Plooman

Bit more progress today. After much holding the ram in various positions, I decided the only place for it was under the fender. So that is where it is.

post-111-0-89597200-1448469328_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-50091800-1448469420_thumb.jpg

Attached to the rear fulcrum. Lift lever and/or pump can be used. Also the lift lever will act as a lock when hitch raised.

Attached to the side of the hood stand. Very convenient hole already there.

post-111-0-34530400-1448469374_thumb.jpg

It is a very tight fit, but nothing catches. The ram does not travel to it's full extent and cut out switches may be needed.

I think/hope that should be ok. Just have to suck it and see.

I did think the hoses may have been to short, but in fact they are to long. So I'll get them shortened after refitting the pump and motor.

Switch to fit and wiring next.

Looks good norm, is there no way you can have the bolt fixed at the other side aswell? The ram may try to bend the steel where it is fixed ( I have no idea how thick the steel is)

It's not ideal, I know but gear levers get in the way of a bar right across. I'll see what happens when tested. I may put a strengthening plate top to bottom or some kind of bracing. When the top plate is on, that will stiffen things up.